By Elaine L. Orr
There's something about the season of fall that has led me to use it as a setting for many books. Given the way I look at the world, you might think it would be spring. I love gardening and like to try new things.
In the northern hemisphere, fall does bring an end to sweltering temperatures -- and 2026 has brought some sizzing days to central Illinois. You can now leave your house and breathe again without feeling as if you need a shower. And the changing leaves, of course. Despite swirling allergens, I love the colors, especially red maples and mums.
While fall is peaceful in many way, Halloween is jarring. Witches cackle, zombies attack, and pirates roar. Pumpkins are fun to carve but some end up splattered on sidewalks. Still, it's fun, I think because even adults can be whoever they want and act a little crazy.
The book I had the most fun writing was Tip a Hat to Murder, and scenes at a Halloween frat party made me laugh out loud. The Judge's Last Contest, which I'm writing now, features a Halloween parade, but one of the three judges won't be at next year's festivities. Even the first book in the Jolie Gentil series, Appraisal for Murder, has her passing out candy wearing a sheet so a guest at the B&B doesn't know who she is.
On a practical basis, the fall weather rarely interferes with activities. Though there was that pesky Hurricane Sandy (which I won't refer to as Super Storm Sandy) in the fifth Jolie book, Trouble on the Doorstep. Still, no one gets snowed in for days and flash floods aren't chasing people out of their homes. Though, as I write this, climate change has brought a lot of weather extremes this fall, especially flash flooding in many states. Maybe I should work that into a book...
Whatever your preference for seasons, get out and rake some leaves and plant some bulbs for next spring.
* * * *
To learn more about Elaine's writing, visit her website or sign up for her newsletter.
No comments:
Post a Comment