Sunday, June 30, 2024

When Age is More than a State of MInd

By. Elaine L. Orr

I wrote plays, short stories, and novellas for years before I started publishing books in 2010. Most people have busy lives, and other things were higher priorities. I'm glad I lived long enough to not only write but publish. I do not intend to stop.

At almost 73, I do notice changes in my memory and concentration. If I stop writing for a few days, when I go back to a book I am either pleased to see what I wrote or I think it's bunk. Either way, it's only a vague memory until I reread it. 

A recent study (if I find it later, I'll quote it) talked about older people taking longer to recall things because there is simply more stored in our brains. The suggestion was to think of sorting through file cabinets to find a memory or piece of information. I'll take it.

Concentration is also harder. If I go to the library or a coffee shop to write, I want to be done in a couple of hours. In the past, I was known to close down Starbucks as I neared the end of a book. Maybe it means I should write in shorter chunks.

Why am I thinking about this? I watched the presidential debate a few days ago. I NEVER talk politics on this blog, so I'm going out on a limb here. President Biden has done a lot for our nation, over many years. But why should he -- or anyone -- be as sharp at 81 as, say, 61? Personally, I don't think anyone can retain 100% of their complex thinking capabilities as they get to 80+.

My opinion counts for nothing in the question of who should stay in the presidential race. But here it goes: President Biden, it's time to trust someone else with the reins. Your service as senator and president has been exemplary. Do some writing, campaign for your preferred successor. 

Take a deep breath and take a rest.

Thank you.

                                                                  *     *     *     *     *     *

 Check out Elaine's web page or sign up for her newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment