Thursday, January 17, 2019

Smashwords if You're on a Budget (or Not)

The website for ebook distributor Smashwords (www.smashwords.com) is a great place to find low-cost or free books. Some will be by authors you know, others by unknowns. As of today (January 2019) 505,672 books appear on Smashwords and 79,672 are free.

The book that made me laugh the most came from there, though I see it's no longer published. However, it's still in my Smashwords Library (where you store books you download at the site).

As a reader, you can download books in any format and read them on a computer or on your ereader -- any brand of ereader.

 As an author, I like Smashwords because I can load a book there and sell it on a number of sites. Back in 2010, I definitely didn't know how to self-publish. Smashwords' publications taught me much about ebook production. Its founder, Mark Coker, writes in an informal style, so learning was easier for me.

I don't do a lot of free books, since writing is much of my income. One is a short story called Tess and All Kinds. It's from the point of view of a child who has moved in with grandma, who manages a storage facility.

I can do coupons to make a book free, so if you see one you like, give a holler in the comments section.

Happy reading!
                                                     *             *              *
Check out Elaine's web page, sign up for her online classes, or receive her newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment