Friday, December 14, 2018

The Logland Series: Police Procedural with a Cozy Feel

When I started Tip a Hat to Murder, I saw it as a one-and-done novel, but I enjoyed the characters so much a second book was in order. It's been too long between books! Final Cycle will be released December 23rd, and is available for preorder.

I am experimenting with a sleuth who is not an amateur. I describe the series as a police procedural with a cozy feel. Other than having a female police chief as the sleuth, the books maintain the rest of the cozy mystery principles: the murders are off-screen, small town, very minimal swearing. 
Quirky characters populate both novels, though I try not to veer into silly. These two books, and all others, will have the opening scene in the Bully Pulpit Diner. That doesn't mean that the murders will always take place there.The diner a good place to bring characters together from time to time.

I plan to maintain the practice of having the first chapter be third person and the rest first person, from the perspective of Chief Elizabeth Friedman. In Tip a Hat to Murder I had a couple chapters in distant first person with another character, but it's more of a challenge to have the story unfold from one person's capabilities. I like the immediacy of first person, and Final Cycle does that..
Why not an amateur? I decided I wanted the investigator to be someone who had a right to ask questions. For an author who usually has to think of reasons for a sleuth to pursue suspects (in the Jolie Gentil and River's Edge series), this was energizing.

To emphasize that this is a series (The Logland Mystery Series) I redid the cover for Tip a Hat to Murder. I'd love to know what you think.

Final Cycle was released on December 23rd.  Read both books free with Kindle Unlimited.
As always, let me know if you'd like a review copy. 

                                                    *             *              *
Check out Elaine's web page, sign up for her online classes, or receive her newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment