Saturday, May 23, 2020

Keeping in Touch in the Age of COVID-19

If it weren't for social media, I'd be bonkers now. But it's also contributing to a sense of if not paralysis, at least inaction.

If I'm working on a family history book or planting flowers, my mind is occupied enough that it doesn't wander. Otherwise, I could go from website to website looking for...answers. When will normal return, when will I feel as if someone is in charge of normal returning, how do you eat a ten-ounce bag of M&Ms and not gain weight? (I already know the answer to that last one. You can't.)

Cats in Quarantine
Really, I'm not depressed. I like my cats, but I'm sorry not to be with friends and family. I'm also grateful that I can stay in the apartment rather than have to work at a grocery store or take public transportation to any job.

Earlier this week I ventured to the school where I subbed all year to help empty 7th grade lockers. Now there's fodder for a story. I knew the school was so clean you could lick the walls (I didn't) and that there would be few people there. The personal contact with people I like was wonderful! Then I went home and looked at the grass seed I planted. It does not grow faster if you stare at it.

So, I've given myself a good shake, and decided to stop looking at the Internet so much and that I don't need to watch reruns of The Big Bang Theory every evening. And I'll write more blog posts. I had no idea I had not written one in May.

One day this week, the Sisters In Crime organization sponsored a webinar with Jane Cleland, author of the Prescott Antique Mysteries and several excellent books on writing. That has energized me to work more steadily on The Least Trodden Ground. Jane's books on structure and plotting are superb.

I wish you good writing and reading.
                                                  *     *     *     *     *
Check out Elaine's website or sign up for  her newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment