Possibly because I started out writing plays, dialogue is my favorite part of any story. I like to give characters fairly distinctive speaking patterns without going to extremes. If everyone has perfect grammar and diction, it can reflect a graduate class in literature, but not much about life in the real world.
When Annie Louise Bannon asked me to do a guest post on her blog, I titled it "How Characters Talk," and I used examples from the Logland Mystery series. Since it's a police procedural with a cozy feel (as opposed to a cozy mystery series) I can be more relaxed about what characters say. That doesn't mean they swear like sailors, but some of them are a tad raunchy.
Take a look at the post -- How Characters Talk -- and let me know what you think.
* * * *
Learn more about Elaine and her writing at www.elaineorr.com
Learn about my writing, thoughts on writing, and how to show the world yours. Understated humor is featured in the mysteries--Jolie Gentil (at the Jersey shore), River's Edge (by the Des Moines River in Iowa), Family History Mysteries (Western Maryland mountains), Bay View Harbor (the Chesapeake Bay), & Logland (central Illinois). Live life with friends - even if some of them can be a pain now and then. The name Irish Roots Author reflects my heritage, as expressed in my genealogy books.
No comments:
Post a Comment