Book 10 sees Jolie and Scoobie getting married and an 11-year old enters their lives in the form of a half brother that Scoobie did not know he had (Terry). Skip forward 3 years and Jolie and Scoobie have 3-year old twins and a now-high-school-age brother with them. That's Underground in Ocean Alley.
I decided not to write the 'big baby event' of the twins' birth as part of a mystery, but I promised readers that they would see that moment in a future story. Of course, a story has to have legs, so there's a lot more involved than that.
However, having already written Terry as a high school age young man, I'm finding it difficult to depict his younger self. Generally my characters advance in age rather than regress.
These are some of the traits and attitudes I'm trying to imbue in 12-year old Terry.
- Friends, and their opinions, are very important.
- Sports are the best part of school.
- Food, lots of it, is always good.
- It's better to tease than be teased.
- Waiting for a baby is good, because life will really be different when it arrives.
* * * *
To learn more about Elaine or her writing, go to www.elaineorr.com or sign up for her newsletter.