|Writing distraction Stella.|
- While on the subway or when waiting for a child to finish music lessons, read something about writing or an article that deals with the time period or something else related to your novel.
- Work on a computer without Internet access.
- Forget about perfect prose in your first draft. Grammar errors will be there to fix in the second draft.
- Put a padlock on the refrigerator.
- Leave the mobile phone in another room.
- If a random idea occurs as you write, add it to a bullet list at the end of a chapter. If it’s in the computer file you won’t lose the thought.
- Put the cat or dog on the porch.
- If you have an hour to write, write the entire time. Research isn’t writing.
* * *
Elaine Orr writes the Jolie Gentil and River's Edge mystery series.
Check out Elaine's web page or sign up for her newsletter.